- Over the last 20+ years with my husband I have recognized many things about the marital relationship.
- First, Marriage is a true covenant to be upheld and not to be entered into lightly. Marriage is so much more than the wedding day. Once that day is over, the real work begins.
- Second, it is a long term commitment that requires hard work, dedication, effective communication, trust, and forgiveness among many other attributes. We are all imperfect beings Marriage is a marathon not a quick sprint. It requires lots of time and patience.
- Third it requires stamina and endurance.to develop a marriage that can win. While there will be tests and trials along the way that can push you to the VERY limits. However, you never know how much strength is on the inside of you until you have been tested.
- Fourth it requires balance and effective prioritization. Marriage is not 50/50 , sometimes it is 60/40 heck, even 90/10 but is during these times that your true level of commitment and dedication to your marriage is demonstrated.
- Finally, recognize that you are not in this alone. Your spouse is not your enemy even though at times it may feel like you are on opposite teams. In marriage you are meant to complement one another not compete with one another . Don’t be afraid to seek wise counsel in regards to your marriage. No, not your best friend that is single, or your mom/dad. Align yourselves with a couple that has demonstrated longevity in their marriage. A couple who has weathered the storms of life and is still standing strong today. When we got married, I never knew that we were going to be challenged with things such as bankruptcy, foreclosure, car repossession, loss of employment, emotional infidelity, isolation, etc. You name it we've experienced it. But through it all we are still standing strong. If our marriage can win, yours can too. My question is how determined are you to help your marriage win?